Friday, June 01, 2007

Donovan Leaves Gators For NBA

As a Gator alumni I'm sad to see Billy Donovan go to the NBA, which I don't enjoy at all. College basketball is more exciting and "real" these days. Anyway, here's the letter UF President (Bernie) sent to me:

Dear Greg,

If you're like me, it was a something of a bittersweet moment when you heard that head basketball Coach Billy Donovan was leaving the Gators to take over as coach of the Orlando Magic.

But bitter certainly isn't an emotion I feel when I think of Billy. On the contrary, I couldn't be happier for him and the wonderful opportunity he has to coach in the NBA. When I think of what Billy accomplished for the University of Florida during his 11-season tenure, I'm amazed. A 261-103 record. Nine straight 20-win seasons. Nine consecutive NCAA Tournament berths. Three trips to the NCAA Championship game (2000, 2006, 2007).

And of course, there's the icing on the cake: A dream team that chalked up the Gators' first back-to-back NCAA Men's Division I Championships in 2006 and 2007. Billy will leave as UF's winningest coach.

Simply put, he did the job and he did it well. For that, we are grateful.

As Billy moves on to other challenges, we will begin the search for his successor (Notice I didn't say “replacement” – no one will ever replace Billy.) I have complete faith and confidence in Athletic Director Jeremy Foley's ability to scour the country and find yet another terrifically talented and qualified head basketball coach.

Please join me in wishing Billy Donovan and his family the best of luck in his future endeavors.

Go Gators!
Bernie.
University of Florida
Office of the President
Gainesville, FL

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

                 Online Marketing Tips